Tuesday 30 October 2012

Giraffe Islington Tweatup


Cocktails and starters
Tonight I had the pleasure of attending a Tweatup at Giraffe restaurant in Islington. I've been to the restaurant a few times before, so I knew it would be good, but I wasn't expecting quite the amount of free food and drink we got. I met some cool people, who had also been chosen from Twitter.
The PR company running the tweatup must really like chicken, because there were at least 3 dishes which contained it, great for us non-meat eaters. The area manager from Giraffe was lovely though, and took pity on me, getting me a delicious salmon sushi rice salad. This was definitely the best savoury dish of the night, and I was confident it would take the crown as we worked our way through the new menu. Edamame beans were tasty and halloumi skewers a great idea, although I'd have liked a bit more halloumi and maybe some hummous dip for all the flatbread.


Salmon sushi rice salad-yum
The others partook in some chicken wings and duck tostadas, whilst we sipped delicious Skinny Ginny (gin with apple juice) and Louisiana Jam (strong SOCO & cherry jam) cocktails. Before I got too tipsy, the salad arrived to jealous looks from the others. Mango pieces mixed with avocado, spinach leaves, bamboo shoots and a healthy dose of smoked salmon were a great combination and the dressing was very tasty and tangy. I was getting very full by this point, but pushed myself to eat a few of the delicious sweet potato fries, which are reason enough to go to Giraffe in my opinion.

Just when we all feeling the strain, out came dessert, and what can I say but WOW. I'm not even a massive fan of dessert (actually, who am I kidding?) but the chocolate mouse crunch slipped down a bit too easily. Jude's fruit sorbet with fruit salad and strawberry coulis was a great, refreshing alternative for the dairy-free and health conscious, but I figured I'd already blown the diet so made head-long for the crumble, not expecting much. Man, was I ever wrong. That crumble (apple, almond and red cherry, served with vanilla ice cream) was the best I have ever eaten (sorry granny). Indeed, I haven't eaten a crumble since my grandmother passed away nearly 15 years ago, but she would be getting right back up to eat this one I am sure. Get yourself down to Giraffe pronto to try the new menu yourself, but save some sushi salad and crumble for me!

Trio of desserts-omg

No comments:

Post a Comment