Friday 28 September 2012

Healthy Chocolate Tart

Here is my healthy chocolate tart-well, the meagre remains of it, since I'm so lazy I didn't get around to a) putting it on a plate and b) taking a photo of it just after I made it. It's a refrigerator cake, so you don't get that "bing, it's done" moment, which is the point where I'd be wanting to grab a camera. Still, it was my first attempt for a while at something healthy and although fairly labour-intensive it was quite satisfying as a chocolatey culmination to a meal. It lasted me so long I was kind of bored by the end, and was mashing it up with 0% fat greek yoghurt and peanut butter (which would be the key ingredient I'd try and amalgamate into the recipe next time).

The recipe was at the back of Zest magazine (so healthy, me) and is taken from the The Guilt-Free Gourmet  which I have subsequently ordered-excited much? I did amend the recipe slightly, as I couldn't find any date syrup or carob powder (I used more agave syrup and cocoa powder instead) and also I felt the ingredients were getting a bit too expensive (and when am I going to use date syrup again?)

The healthy bit is that it's pretty much free from everything: dairy, wheat, sugar. It's totally vegan and the crushed up oat cakes in the base (along with pecans) are about as naughty as it gets. I put the recipe as I made it into My Fitness Pal and it came out at 4000kcals for the whole lot, which I thought was loads until I worked out that it could serve around 14-16 people. Well, maybe not according to my OH, but 16 versions of me, anyway. Divided by 16 made each portion 253 kcals and 3 grams of protein, so not too bad. The avocados in the topping give it a lot of calories, but add "healthy" fats. I've not noticed my hair becoming shinier since consuming the entire thing, but give it time.

The recipe:
For the base
150g pecans
125g oat cakes
1tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp agave syrup
2tbsp coconut oil
3 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder

For the topping
3 avocados
6 tbsp cocoa powder (or 5 cocoa, 1 carob)
9 tbsp agave syrup (or 6 agave, 3 date syrip)
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp coconut oil

Top with shavings of dark chocolate if desired (I did not desire this!)

Method

Toast the pecans then crush them with the oatcakes. Blend with the dates (chopped and pitted), 3 tsp cocoa powder, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 2 tbsp agave, 2 tbsp coconut oil (you might need to melt this) until fine. Press into the base of a lined 20" springform cake tin and refrigerate for 30 mins until set.

Meanwhile, blend the flesh of 3 avocados with 9 tbsp agave, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 6 tbsp cocoa powder and 4 tbsp coconut oil (melt in a  pan first) until smooth. smoother on top of the base and refrigerate for another  2 hours. Shave extra chocolate on top if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment