Sunday 2 September 2012

Bintang Kentish Town


Ravenous en route home from my little nephew's house - where he helped me work up an appetite by bouncing excessively in a musical spaceship thingy (don't ask...) - the OH and I dropped into Bintang, a casual little restaurant on Kentish Town road, touting a range of south-east asian menu options. I could have summoned up the strength for a cocktail, but the only drink options were soft ones (although I gather they do BYO with corkage fee from other reviews I've read).



Pad thai? or is it
Luckily the food came super fast, including some yummy blue cheese wontons, which we ate so quickly I didn't even manage to snap. Tasty, despite not having much filling, they came with a great dipping sauce which tasted like a honey-soy mash-up. Next up were 2 huge plates of noodle-based dishes, a prawn melee (I can't remember what they called it, maybe gilli gilli?) and an aubergine and tofu pad thai. As you can see from the pictures, I think they maybe got it the wrong way around, because the prawn dish definitely tasted like the pad thai I know and love, so I had to sneakily try and steal it from the OH whilst making him eat the other dish, which was a bit too sweet for my tastes. 
Sundried tomato and basil roti-delish!
The piece de resistance was the roti, which was small but amazingly delicious. We went for sundried tomato and basil, which was decidedly un-asian, but I'm all for fusion. The sundried tomato tapenade was smeared over the top of the buttery (read: seriously calorific), flaky roti and it tasted grrrreat.  I'd go back for that alone (would it be wrong to just order 7 roti?)  It looks like they do takeout  too, so maybe that'll get around the need to order mains? 

No comments:

Post a Comment