Sunday 26 August 2012

Streetfeast Dalston 24th August


As a London-based foodie I am rather ashamed to say my first visit to Streetfeast was on the penultimate Friday-but at least I did make it in the end! As with most things Dalston (and I have no idea how the Camden ventures fared) it was a little bit sceney, but in a "of look at X trying hard" kind of way, and not intimidating. The gyoza stand I'd had my eye on from the website wasn't open (although it was there replete with menu board just to taunt me) so I opted for Yum Jungle prawns, which were basically panko (or coconut?) breaded prawns, fried and served in a cone (cute) on top of some purple slaw. Not bad, but for £5 and without the advertised sambal (other than the pre-packaged sauces you could add on yourself) I didn't think it was the best option on offer.


The Mussel Men had run out of oysters and pizza seemed a but carb-heavy, so I just had the prawns while the OH, hungry from a hard day in the office on the Cornettos, chose a venison-sausage burger as main course after the pork belly yum buns. the queue for the Yum Buns was something, word has clearly got around. He enjoyed both dishes and even managed to squeeze in some delicious Sorbitium ice cream-salted caramel and roasted white choc with cherry and almond, the latter of which has to go down as one of the BEST flavours ever-wow.


I went for the rather more virtuous sugar-cane rum and lime sorbet, which was nice and boozy; a palate cleanser and cocktail in one! Sorbitium definitely wins as the best option of the night. Luckily for us they are sometimes round the corner at Granary Square, and Kings Cross are having an ice cream festival in September, so we can stock up. I hope they do tub-sized servings to take home!

I was really taken by the cake stall, which looked amazing. If I go back for the final session next week I might have to buy some of the baked goodies (I'm leaning towards the cupcake that had salted caramel sauce dribbling down it). The queues for the cakes said it all really, those Dalstonites might look skinny but they don't pass on dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment