Sunday 26 August 2012

Eating our way up the Cally part deux


Tonight we finally tried Iberia Georgian restaurant which is just up the road from us, and was it ever worth the wait! The service was great, and the small restaurant was packed by 8pm with couples and larger groups devouring the tasty authentic Georgian food. But don't think the wine list will let you down-Georgian wine is delicious, as I remember from my first experience of Georgian cuisine, which was (rather randomly) in Poland. A small place like this could easily have been dry or BYO but thankfully they have a wide and varied selection of the finest the Georgian vines have to offer. I'm a fan of white, so we had a bottle of the Tsinandali, a dry but fruity wine which could be likened to a good SA Sauvignon Blanc. It had depth anyway, and was extremely drinkable. Good job really, as we had rather a lot of-albeit delicious-food. Torn between the cold and hot mezza we plumped for aubergine with walnuts and pomegranate seeds, lobiani-a flatbread filled with red beans (not dissimilar to refried beans) and followed with a tasty veggie ratatouille for me and charcoal grilled pork with plum sauce and potatoes for the OH. You know when you look at the food you'e ordered and think "yeah, I can take that"? well, that happened and boy, were we wrong. About half way through I had to stop and have a breather, I felt like I'd been eating for a while but no real progress seemed to have been made. Was this Georgian bread that re-made itself with every bite I took?

We persevered as it was all so delicious and managed to finish it all. The OH, has a second stomach for all things dessert-shaped, insisted on having the menu back, so I tried a Georgian coffee to sober up. Delicious, thick and Turkish-like, it did the job. He however, is a far braver man that I'll ever be, plumping (indeed) for the Sigareti, or walnut rolls-a traditional Georgian cake, with some Georgian brandy to accompany them. It's a good job we only had to stagger a few metres home is all I can say! Anyway, I love a good bargain, and this little lot set us back around £60, which is a total bargain for central (ish) London. Iberia is my new favourite and local restaurant and I'll definitely be back again very soon to try some more of that delish wine food.

No comments:

Post a Comment