Monday 7 January 2013

Chocolate Peanut Cookies

This is a Paul Hollywood (aka legendary, fit "Master Baker" from the Great British Bake-Off) recipe from his new book "How to Bake". Despite me avowing to make some of his wonderful bread-based recipes (not just bread, there's danish pastries, scones, crumpets... all manner of wonderful carb-based delights) from the book, I found the simplest thing I could to knock-up to cheer up my Monday evening.

These chocolate peanut cookies have raisins in the original recipe, but that sounded far too healthy for me, so I just went with 2 of my favourite things: nuts and chocolate. The recipe also states you should bake the biscuits for 15 minutes, but the first batch I made were cremated into a treacly death with this amount of oven-based action, so I reduced the time to around 9 minutes. This gave a soft, crumbly texture, a bit like a brownie, which we really enjoyed. The crunch of the peanuts was a nice contrast and I had to hide them in an airtight container to ensure my tasting companion didn't devour the lot in one go!

Ingredients:
200g dark chocolate, chopped
60g unsalted butter
1 tbsp golden syrup
170g caster sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
200g peanuts, toasted and chopped
40g plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder

Method:
1. Heat oven to 170C. Lightly butter a baking tray
2. Put 80g of the chocolate in a heatproof bowl with the butter, sugar, golden syrup and vanilla extract. Set over a bowl of simmering water and heat gently, stirring occasionally. until the mixture is melted and smooth.
3. Mix the remaining chopped chocolate with the peanuts in another bowl. Sift the flour and cocoa together and stir everything together.
4. Place tablespoon-sized balls of the mixture on the baking tray, squeezing them together a little to form balls, and space evenly apart so they have room to spread.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes. They will be soft when you remove them from the oven-keeo an eye on them so they don't burn at the edges. Leave on the baking tray until they have hardened a little, then place them on a wire track to cool completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment