Friday 30 November 2012

Loch Fyne Christmas Menu

I went up to Nottingham to review the brand-spanking new Christmas menu at Loch Fyne, and it didn't disappoint! It's one of a very small number of decent restaurants in Nottingham city centre, and the only place around where you can get an oyster-so it already gets my vote. I don't usually mention service, but this time it really was terrific. Gaz was a perfect host, so if you're going do give him a shout-out from me (he even gave me free ice cream, but don't worry-it didn't sway this review AT ALL...)

Fisherman's Platter
So, "What about the food?!" I hear you cry? Sorry, I got rather distracted by the free glass of prosecco (with all xmas meal booking before 9 December-so get in quick!) Well, for just £19.95 you get 3 whole courses of deliciousness. I started with the Fisherman’s Platter, a tasty selection of treats including smoked salmon, bradan Rost (kiln roasted salmon fillet), smoked prawns, potted peppered mackerel, marinated herring, marinated mixed olives, shallot marmalade all served with a slab of brown bloomer bread. Everything was fresh and tasty, and the little jars and granite serving slab were lovely touches. The smoked prawn (just the one) was absolutely delicious, and you should get some in for Christmas. Weirdly Loch Fyne don't appear to sell them (you can buy other fishy treats from their website here) but Inverawe do.
Pan-fried fillet of bream on braised fennel

Next up I chose Pan-fried Fillet of bream, braised fennel in a lemon beurre sauce, sesame carrots, buttered new potatoes & tenderstem broccoli (although the tempura of salmon and squid gave it a run for it's money). The fish was lightly pan-fried so the skin was nicely crispy, the flesh melt-in-the-mouth soft, and not a bone in sight! I love a bed of fennel, and this one didn't disappoint either, tender and mild and bathed in butter-fennel heaven. The new potatoes were good too, but the carrots seemed an unnecessary distraction on an otherwise busy plate. So I left those, for you.

Warm Chocolate Fondant
With little room to spare I wasn't relishing hitting dessert. Thankfully when this turned up my second stomach appeared as if from nowhere and there was a fight on with my dining companion for the last crumb. Well, if you will put a salted caramel sauce in your Warm Chocolate Fondant, what do you expect? To book in for  one of Loch Fyne's delicious Christmas menus yourself you need to contact your local restaurant. You can find their details, and the regular menu here. Treat yourself-it's Christmas!
Oh! A cheeky salted caramel filling? Yes please. 


No comments:

Post a Comment